People are still only able to flee the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol on foot or by private car as efforts to organize mass evacuations by bus to safer parts of Ukraine have failed, Ukraine's Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said.
Efforts to evacuate civilians - some with the help of the International Committee of the Red Cross - have repeatedly broken down, with both sides blaming each other.
In an online post, Vereshchuk said seven buses trying to get to Mariupol had not managed to make its way through a Russian blockade. Russia's defense ministry said Ukrainian forces had "cynically disrupted" the evacuation effort, Tass news agency cited a senior official as saying. Speaking earlier on national television, Vereshchuk said buses could not reach the first part of the evacuation route from Mariupol, which is "nearly 80 km - people have to either walk or find a way to make this journey in a private car."Please include your name, location, and contact information if you are willing to speak to a journalist with CTV News.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Foreign merchant ship hit by missile in Mariupol: Ukrainian officialA Dominica-flagged cargo ship’s engine room was hit by a missile late on Monday in Mariupol, says the deputy head of Ukraine’s Maritime Administration
Read more »
Opinion: Canada needs a unified approach for people fleeing Ukraine and AfghanistanOttawa has unjustifiably provided different supports and services to Ukrainians and Afghans trying to escape to safety
Read more »
Independent investigations office to probe police actions after Salt Spring Island crashOfficers were told the driver had fled the crash on foot, and RCMP say he resisted arrest after being located
Read more »
Russia-Ukraine live updates: Russian forces preparing for new offensive in southeast, Ukraine saysAlso: Ukrainian President Zelensky will address the UN Security Council on Tuesday amid renewed outrage over images of brutalized civilians on the streets of Bucha
Read more »
Ukraine says Russian troops regrouping in southeast after Bucha massacreZelensky to address Security Council; Germany and France expel dozens of Russian diplomats
Read more »
Ukraine says Russia planning major offensive in southeastRussian forces on Tuesday were preparing for an offensive in Ukraine's southeast, the Ukrainian military said, as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy prepared to talk to the U.N. Security Council amid outrage over evidence Moscow's soldiers deliberately killed civilians.
Read more »