No new murder trial for former Quebec judge Jacques Delisle, court rules | Globalnews.ca

Canada News News

No new murder trial for former Quebec judge Jacques Delisle, court rules | Globalnews.ca
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 GlobalNational
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 60 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 27%
  • Publisher: 51%

No new murder trial for former Quebec judge Jacques Delisle, court rules

Delisle’s lawyers argued last November that a Crown expert had made serious errors in the initial pathology report that would make a retrial impossible. They also said there had been unreasonable delays in the case.

Defence lawyer Maxime Roy told reporters today in Quebec City his client was relieved with the decision, adding that the most important thing is that Delisle is now a free man.Story continues below advertisement A former appeal court judge, Delisle was found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of his wife, Marie Nicole Rainville and was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years. His appeal was dismissed in 2013, and the Supreme Court of Canada refused to hear his case.Delisle, who spent nine years in jail but was freed on bail last April pending a decision on a new trial, has always maintained his innocence and said his wife took her own life.

The Crown had argued Delisle killed his spouse to avoid a costly divorce and that he wanted to move in with his former secretary with whom he had been having an affair. In April 2021, federal Justice Minister David Lametti ordered a new trial for the ex-judge after concluding a miscarriage of justice likely occurred in the case, having reviewed evidence that was not before the courts at the time of Delisle’s trial or appeal.Bail hearing to be held for Quebec Judge – Sep 24, 2016

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

GlobalNational /  🏆 81. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Millions pledged to upgrade aging stations on Quebec City-Windsor rail corridor | CBC NewsMillions pledged to upgrade aging stations on Quebec City-Windsor rail corridor | CBC NewsThe federal government is making another expensive budget pledge to bring a high-frequency rail line connecting Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City to fruition.
Read more »

Quebec reports rise in COVID-19 hospitalizations, 12 more deathsQuebec reports rise in COVID-19 hospitalizations, 12 more deathsQuebec reports 3,761 new COVID-19 cases, with 1,540 people in hospital, 66 listed in intensive care and 12 more deaths
Read more »

Calls to health line in 2020 reveal desperation of Quebec long-term care home ownersCalls to health line in 2020 reveal desperation of Quebec long-term care home ownersA pair of newly released recordings from the owners of the Herron private care home reveal how desperate they were during the pandemic’s first wave
Read more »

Quebec tables bill on academic freedom, says no words off limits in classrooms | Globalnews.caQuebec tables bill on academic freedom, says no words off limits in classrooms | Globalnews.caBill 32 enshrines the right to teach, conduct research and share results, critique society and freely take part in the activities of professional university organizations.
Read more »

Quebec tables bill on academic freedom, says no words off-limits in lecture hallsQuebec tables bill on academic freedom, says no words off-limits in lecture hallsA new bill tabled Wednesday in Quebec would allow 'any word' to be uttered in university classrooms as long as it's used in an academic context, the province's higher education minister said.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 15:37:55