How Ontario's online gambling industry is faring 3 years into legalization

Canada News News

How Ontario's online gambling industry is faring 3 years into legalization
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 CBCToronto
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 44 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 21%
  • Publisher: 61%

Ontario residents generated $2.2 billion for online gaming platforms in the sector’s second fiscal year since legalization. But some say marketing for the platforms should be restricted or banned altogether.

Despite its success, some say Ontario's online gambling industry is spiking betting addictionsIn the three years since it's been legalized, Ontario's online gambling industry has "surpassed" expectations, generating thousands of jobs and billions of dollars in revenue. But as CBC's Tyler Cheese explains, some experts say the sector is putting the public at risk.

iGaming Ontario reports Ontario residents wagered almost $63.3 billion and generated $2.2 billion in total gaming revenue in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. "The second full year of legalized sports betting contributed something like 15,000 jobs and … $2.7 billion to Ontario's GDP," he said."That was only the second year. Like, that's just going to get bigger and bigger," O'Brien said.

Last year, the AGCO also banned the use of professional athletes and restricted the use of celebrities that appeal to minors in online gambling advertising.Bruce Kidd, co-chair of the Ban Ads for Gambling campaign, says there's too much marketing of online gambling services, putting minors at risk. When it comes to the sector's direct impact on the public, he looked at the amount of calls CAMH has received related to problem gambling.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CBCToronto /  🏆 51. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Roughly six per cent of eligible Ontario voters cast their ballots at advance polls: Elections OntarioRoughly six per cent of eligible Ontario voters cast their ballots at advance polls: Elections OntarioElections Ontario's figures for advanced voting from Thursday to Saturday reveal that 6.14 per cent of eligible voters participated.
Read more »

Ontario Businesses Face Tariff Pressure, Northern Ontario Braces for Flash FreezeOntario Businesses Face Tariff Pressure, Northern Ontario Braces for Flash FreezeNews roundup covering Ontario businesses, weather warnings, carbon tax elimination in BC, Trudeau's pledge on boil water advisories, Ontario drug policy law challenge, RCMP border security efforts, Trump's trade actions, Six Nations rugby results, US storm fatalities, AI nurses, Ford vehicle showcase, and Amazon shopping recommendations.
Read more »

Ontario city removing American flags from facilities, adding giant maple leavesOntario city removing American flags from facilities, adding giant maple leavesCiting public requests, Mississauga Mayor Carolyn Parrish says the city will replace U.S. flags at local facilities and has ordered giant Canadian flags to replace them.
Read more »

How one Ontario school board is getting teachers to try AI in the classroomHow one Ontario school board is getting teachers to try AI in the classroomAdvocates say generative AI can be a powerful instructional aid if teachers know how to use it. These workers are teaching them how to
Read more »

Ontario Police Watchdog Investigating After Stolen Vehicle CollisionOntario Police Watchdog Investigating After Stolen Vehicle CollisionOntario's police watchdog, the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), is probing an incident where a man driving a vehicle linked to a theft in Oakville was seriously injured in a collision after fleeing police. The incident began when Halton police responded to a report of a stolen Kia Sedona. Officers located the stolen vehicle and a GMC Hummer, believed to be involved in the theft. The Hummer's driver, a 26-year-old man, was taken into custody but later hospitalized with serious injuries.
Read more »

Charter Challenge Looms Over Ontario's Controversial Drug Policy LawCharter Challenge Looms Over Ontario's Controversial Drug Policy LawThe approaching hearing for a Charter challenge against Ontario's new drug policy law is raising concerns among applicants' lawyers and advocacy groups, who argue that the policy criminalizes drug possession and harms vulnerable individuals.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 00:02:00