Ford says he won’t accept a ‘bad deal’ with Ottawa for financial aid, introduces omnibus COVID-19 recovery bill

Canada News News

Ford says he won’t accept a ‘bad deal’ with Ottawa for financial aid, introduces omnibus COVID-19 recovery bill
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 globeandmail
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 48 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 23%
  • Publisher: 92%

Ford says he won’t accept a ‘bad deal’ with Ottawa for financial aid

Ontario's provincial flag flies on a flag pole in Ottawa on June 30, 2020. Premier Doug Ford wants more federal funding set aside for Ontario.Ontario won’t settle for a “bad deal” when it comes to billions in required financial aid for municipalities, Premier Doug Ford said Wednesday, as the rift between the province and federal government over desperately needed civic funding appeared to widen.

The Premier said Ontario represents 38 per cent of Canada’s population, and he believes it should receive the equivalent to that in the federal deal.Some municipalities have expressed frustration in recent months that they are stuck in the middle of a lingering standoff between the federal and Ontario governments over the aid package.

The omnibus bill – dubbed the COVID-19 Recovery Act – proposes to change 20 pieces of current legislation that govern the province’s schools, municipalities, and justice system. The 188 page bill also includes measures announced by Education Minister Stephen Lecce this week to end school suspensions for students in junior kindergarten to Grade 3.

Green party Leader Mike Schreiner said changing environmental regulations is not necessary to get the economy moving.“Caring for nature, farmland and water is a vital part of the economic recovery, not something we sacrifice,” he said in a statement.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

globeandmail /  🏆 5. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Doug Ford says he’ll make air conditioning mandatory in Ontario’s long-term care homesDoug Ford says he’ll make air conditioning mandatory in Ontario’s long-term care homesNDP Leader Andrea Horwath says Ford should change the Long-Term Care Act to mandate A/C in long-term care residents’ bedrooms
Read more »

Tory disagrees with Ford government changes to eviction rulesTory disagrees with Ford government changes to eviction rulesToronto Mayor John Tory says he disagrees with the Ford government’s proposed changes to provincial residential tenancy law that in some cases would make it easier for landlords to evict tenants who fall behind in paying rent.
Read more »

Ontario Premier Doug Ford blasts long-term care homes without air conditioningOntario Premier Doug Ford blasts long-term care homes without air conditioning'I'd like to get these owners who don't put air conditioning — I'd like to stick them in the room for 24 hours at 30 degree heat [and] see how they like it.'
Read more »

Diamondbacks OF Kole Calhoun tests positive for coronavirus - Sportsnet.caDiamondbacks OF Kole Calhoun tests positive for coronavirus - Sportsnet.caArizona Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo says outfielder Kole Calhoun has tested positive for COVID-19.
Read more »

Canada’s 10 best-selling automakers so far this yearCanada’s 10 best-selling automakers so far this yearNeedless to say, the COVID-19 pandemic hasn't been particularly kind to auto sales. Via: drivingdotca autonews
Read more »

Buffalo Bills WR Stefon Diggs uncomfortable playing amid pandemic - TSN.caBuffalo Bills WR Stefon Diggs uncomfortable playing amid pandemic - TSN.caNew Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stefon Diggs says he feels uneasy about playing out the 2020 NFL season during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 23:26:42