COVID-19 pandemic adds risk to wildfire season: B.C. forests minister GlobeBC
Figures from the BC Wildfire Service show people caused more than 54 per cent of the wildfires in the province last year.“Although the start to the 2020 fire season has been relatively normal so far, we must remain vigilant,” said Donaldson. “Mitigating wildfire risk is a shared responsibility and I’m calling on all British Columbians to help safeguard our communities, resources and infrastructure from harm.
The service is now using single-person tents, she said, and new supply kits will help crews camp in smaller groups where possible to help reduce the risk of the virus spreading through larger camps. Melia Walker, director of mass care and emergency support services for Emergency Management BC, said they’re working to make sure emergency personnel and volunteers receive testing in line with health officials’ strategies.The province has prohibited most open burning activities this year, including prescribed burns, to reduce the risks of human-caused fires and smoke that could affect air quality during the pandemic.
Fire crews have responded to 139 wildfires as of April 1 this year, compared with a seasonal average of 172, said Lucius.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Recording life during COVID-19: Alberta museums collecting pandemic artifactsThe Royal Alberta Museum, the Okotoks Museum and Archives and the Glenbow Museum are documenting the coronavirus outbreak as it happens with physical and digital items
Read more »
B.C. begins economic restart as COVID-19 risk drops to lowest point since MarchBritish Columbia did not shut down construction and many retail stores were permitted to stay open, while the children of essential services workers could still attend school
Read more »
B.C. announces 3 more deaths related to COVID-19, just 2 new casesB.C. health officials announced three more deaths related to COVID-19 Tuesday, bringing the province’s death toll to 146.
Read more »
Quebec Mohawks block entrance to Oka provincial park over concerns about COVID-19 transmission‘I want the government to know that they can’t unilaterally decide our fate,’ Chief Serge Simon said of the blockade
Read more »
Shopify says most employees will permanently work remotely following COVID-19Shopify founder and CEO Tobi Lutke says 'as of today, Shopify is a digital by default company', and offices will remain closed until 2021.
Read more »