Belmont set for June 20 without fans, leads off Triple Crown - Sportsnet.ca

Canada News News

Belmont set for June 20 without fans, leads off Triple Crown - Sportsnet.ca
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 Sportsnet
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 38 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 18%
  • Publisher: 59%

This is the first time the Belmont will lead off the Triple Crown ahead of the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

The Belmont Stakes will be run June 20 without fans and serve as the opening leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown for the first time in the sport’s history.

The Kentucky Derby was moved from May 2 to Sept. 5 and the Preakness from May 16 to Oct. 3 amid the coronavirus pandemic. Live racing is gradually ramping up operations across North America because tracks feel they can operate safely and still make money without fans on site because of online betting and TV revenue. More than $90 million was wagered off track last year on Belmont day, and NYRA gets a cut of that money along with revenue from NBC.

"Everything’s going to be different this year, right?" trainer Mark Casse said. "If well-planned out, it can be just as exciting. Why not? I don’t know if it’s necessarily the time of year. It’s just the events, and you’re still going to have great events."

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

Sportsnet /  🏆 57. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Court to hear Manchester City’s appeal against two-year ban in JuneCourt to hear Manchester City’s appeal against two-year ban in JuneCAS set aside June 8-10 for the case. It is unclear if a hearing will be held in person at the court or by video link
Read more »

Serie A suspension extended to June 14 to comply with government ban - Sportsnet.caSerie A suspension extended to June 14 to comply with government ban - Sportsnet.caThe Serie A is suspended until June 14 unless the Italian government gives it the green light to resume a day earlier as planned.
Read more »

Senators' Eugene Melnyk hopes NHL can have lottery, draft in June - Sportsnet.caSenators' Eugene Melnyk hopes NHL can have lottery, draft in June - Sportsnet.caOttawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk says there are a lot of moving parts when it comes to determining the next step of the NHL's plan to return to action and hopes that the league can have the draft lottery and the NHL Draft in the month of June.
Read more »

NASCAR's Pocono races might be run without fans - Sportsnet.caNASCAR's Pocono races might be run without fans - Sportsnet.caPennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf says NASCAR can hold its races at Pocono Raceway in late June if the coronavirus situation improves in the area, though the races might have to go off without fans.
Read more »

Senators' Eugene Melnyk hopes NHL can have lottery, draft in June - Sportsnet.caSenators' Eugene Melnyk hopes NHL can have lottery, draft in June - Sportsnet.caOttawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk says there are a lot of moving parts when it comes to determining the next step of the NHL's plan to return to action and hopes that the league can have the draft lottery and the NHL Draft in the month of June.
Read more »

Serie A suspension extended to June 14 to comply with government ban - Sportsnet.caSerie A suspension extended to June 14 to comply with government ban - Sportsnet.caThe Serie A is suspended until June 14 unless the Italian government gives it the green light to resume a day earlier as planned.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 17:30:45