Woman says her father was ‘left for dead’ after violent protest at Eritrean festival in Toronto

Canada News News

Woman says her father was ‘left for dead’ after violent protest at Eritrean festival in Toronto
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 CP24
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 66 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 30%
  • Publisher: 67%

The daughter of a man seriously injured in a protest during a weekend Eritrean festival says she believes the people responsible for the violence were “rewarded” after the City of Toronto revoked their permit.

Danait Mehreteab told CTV News Toronto that her 60-year-old father was helping set up for the festival and was passing out volunteer T-shirts when a group of protesters “descended upon” Earlscourt Park, near Caledonia Road and St. Clair Avenue West on Saturday.

“We're all still so shocked and hurt by it,” she said. “It's just devastating. It's devastating to see the police didn't do anything to like, arrest them or stop them. We now have no festival. What's going to happen to my dad's long-term health impact?”The protest started up just before 10 a.m. According to festivalgoers, a large crowd of people started gathering in the area and began chanting. But soon after, some of the nearly 200 people started to get physical.

"More officers were deployed from across the city, including Public Order officers, to separate the combative groups and remained on scene until approximately 8:30 p.m. for everyone to disperse," officials said., which was billed as a family-friendly cultural and sports affair being held over the long weekend.

Multiple festivalgoers told CTV News Toronto on Saturday that while they understand why the group was protesting, the festival is not a political one. “When they take away this festival, when they take away these moments where we can have small moments of connection and joy. It's just like, what message does it send,” she asked.

Following the protest, the City of Toronto decided to cancel the park permit for the Eritrean Festival “in the interest of public safety.”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CP24 /  🏆 30. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Daughter says her father was ‘left for dead’ after violent protest at Eritrean festival in TorontoDaughter says her father was ‘left for dead’ after violent protest at Eritrean festival in TorontoThe daughter of a man seriously injured in a protest during a weekend Eritrean festival says she believes the people responsible for the violence were 'rewarded' after the City of Toronto revoked their permit.
Read more »

Clashes at Toronto Eritrean festival send nine to hospital, shut local roadsClashes at Toronto Eritrean festival send nine to hospital, shut local roadsTORONTO — Violence erupted at a festival for Toronto’s Eritrean community on Saturday as participants clashed with demonstrators in exchanges that sent at…
Read more »

Park permit pulled for Toronto Eritrean festival after clashes send 9 to hospital | CBC NewsPark permit pulled for Toronto Eritrean festival after clashes send 9 to hospital | CBC NewsThe permit for a festival celebrating Toronto's Eritrean community in a west end park was revoked by the city Saturday night after violence erupted earlier in the day. Participants clashed with demonstrators in exchanges that sent at least nine people to hospital.
Read more »

Park permit revoked for Toronto Eritrean festival after violent protest leaves 9 injuredPark permit revoked for Toronto Eritrean festival after violent protest leaves 9 injuredThe City of Toronto has revoked the park permit for a weekend Eritrean festival after a protest turned violent, leaving nine people with physical injuries.
Read more »

Park permit revoked for Toronto Eritrean festival after violent protest leaves 9 injuredPark permit revoked for Toronto Eritrean festival after violent protest leaves 9 injuredThe City of Toronto has revoked the park permit for a weekend Eritrean festival after a protest turned violent, leaving nine people with physical injuries.
Read more »

Elderly woman dies after being hit by pickup truck in TorontoElderly woman dies after being hit by pickup truck in TorontoUPDATE: An elderly woman has died after being hit by a pickup truck in Toronto’s Oakwood Village Friday night.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 15:26:40