Beyond the Breaking News

Wimbledon's Electronic line calling system malfunctions during quarterfinal match

Canada News News

Wimbledon's Electronic line calling system malfunctions during quarterfinal match
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines

A malfunction with Wimbledon's new electronic line calling system required a point to be replayed during a quarterfinal match between Taylor Fritz and Karen Khachanov on Tuesday.

Jul 08, 2025 at 10:50 AM ETLONDON — A malfunction with Wimbledon 's new electronic line-calling system required a point to be replayed during a quarterfinal match between Taylor Fritz and Karen Khachanov on Tuesday.

The latest issue with the system occurred during the opening game of the fourth set on Court No. 1 after Fritz had served at 15-0 and the players exchanged shots. Then came a random “fault” call. Chair umpire Louise Azemar-Engzell stopped play and a few moments later announced: “Ladies and gentlemen, we will replay the last point due to a malfunction.”“The player’s service motion began while the was still crossing the net and therefore the system didn’t recognize the start of the point. As such the chair umpire instructed the point be replayed,” the club said in a statement. After the “fault” call, a perplexed Fritz turned to the umpire's chair and spread his hands as if asking “what was that?” Neither player seemed upset and Khachanov won the replayed point, but the fifth-seeded Fritz advanced to the semifinals with a 6-3, 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 victory. “If it would happen on a break point or deuce or maybe tiebreaker, OK, you can get more mad,” the 17th-seeded Khachanov said. “But it was just beginning of the set, 15-Love or Love-15. I don’t remember. It was maybe not that important moment. That’s why I stayed really focused and calm.” Wimbledon switched this year to the electronic system that replaced human line judges but it's been anything but smooth. On Sunday, there was a glaring mistake at Centre Court during Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova’s three-set victory over Sonay Kartal in the fourth round. A shot by Kartal clearly landed past the baseline but wasn’t called out by the automated setup — called Hawk-Eye — because it had been shut off. On Monday, club officials blamed “human error” for the oversight. Club chief executive Sally Bolton said the technology was “inadvertently deactivated” by someone for three points in the match. Fritz, who will face either defending champion Carlos Alcaraz or Cameron Norrie for a spot in the final, said he still prefers the new system. “There’s going to be some issues here and there but, to be honest, I still think it’s much better to just have the electronic line-calling calling the lines as opposed to umpires," he said. “I do like not having to think about challenging calls in the middle of points,” Fritz continued. “I do like that we don’t have to argue about calls and all this stuff. I think it’s a better system.”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

TSN_Sports /  🏆 80. in CA

 

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Fritz wins resumed Wimbledon match over PerricardFritz wins resumed Wimbledon match over PerricardTaylor Fritz dealt with his opponent's 153 mph serve — it was the fastest in Wimbledon history, but Fritz won the point — and an overnight suspension before the fifth set to finish off a 6-7 (6), 6-7 (8), 6-4, 7-6 (6), 6-4 first-round win over Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard when they resumed Tuesday.
Read more »

Canada's Diallo loses five-set match to No. 5 Fritz in Wimbledon second roundCanada's Diallo loses five-set match to No. 5 Fritz in Wimbledon second roundWIMBLEDON — Canada's Gabriel Diallo battled to force a fifth set against world No. 5 Taylor Fritz, but the American prevailed 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (0), 4-6, 6-3 to avoid an upset in second-round play at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
Read more »

Canadian Diallo falls to Fritz in Wimbledon second roundCanadian Diallo falls to Fritz in Wimbledon second roundTaylor Fritz managed to wrap up his win over Gabriel Diallo before the match was suspended — making sure the fifth-seeded American won't have to come back on court for a fourth straight day. Fritz overcame a bloodied elbow to win 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (0), 4-6, 6-3 on No. 1 Court on Wednesday.
Read more »

Wimbledon: Taylor Fritz reaches the quarterfinals when Jordan Thompson quits with an injuryWimbledon: Taylor Fritz reaches the quarterfinals when Jordan Thompson quits with an injuryLONDON (AP) — U.S. Open runner-up Taylor Fritz moved into the Wimbledon quarterfinals for the third time in four years on Sunday, advancing when his injured opponent, Jordan Thompson , quit while trailing 6-1, 3-0 after 41 minutes.
Read more »

The electronic line-calling system malfunctions during a quarterfinal match at WimbledonThe electronic line-calling system malfunctions during a quarterfinal match at WimbledonA malfunction with Wimbledon ‘s new electronic line-calling system required a point to be replayed during a quarterfinal match between Taylor Fritz and Karen Khachanov on Tuesday.
Read more »

Sabalenka survives scare vs. Siegemund; Fritz beats Khachanov to reach semis at WimbledonSabalenka survives scare vs. Siegemund; Fritz beats Khachanov to reach semis at WimbledonAryna Sabalenka trailed by a set, then twice was down a break in the third before grabbing the last three games to reach the Wimbledon semifinals by overcoming 104th-ranked Laura Siegemund 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 at Centre Court on Tuesday.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-24 14:44:48