Postmaster General says agency 'has experienced over a decade of financial losses'
This translation has been automatically generated and has not been verified for accuracy.The U.S. Postal Service is considering closing post offices across the country, sparking concerns ahead of an anticipated surge of mail-in ballots in the 2020 elections, U.S. Sen Joe Manchin and a union leader said Wednesday.
The possible cutbacks come as DeJoy, a major donor to U.S. President Donald Trump who took control of the agency last month, moves to eliminate overtime for hundreds of thousands of postal workers, potentially causing a delay in mail deliveries. A recent document from the Postal Service, obtained by The Associated Press, described the need for an “operational pivot” to make the cash-strapped agency financially stable.
A spokesman for the Postal Service referred questions to a prior statement from DeJoy, which said the agency “has experienced over a decade of financial losses, with no end in sight, and we face an impending liquidity crisis.” The statement goes on to say that “it is critical that the Postal Service take a fresh look at our operations and make necessary adjustments.”
“The logical conclusion is that he’s going to try to close some post offices,” Dimondstein said of the postmaster general’s belt-tightening strategies.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
National U.S. teachers’ union supports strikes over school reopening plansAmerican Federation of Teachers, which represents 1.4 million employees, will give financial and legal aid to any local chapter choosing to strike
Read more »
Feds loan $30 million to 8 Waterloo tech companiesMelanie Joly says the Liberal government will be lending close to $30 million to eight tech companies in the Waterloo Region.
Read more »
Oregon governor says U.S. agents will begin leaving PortlandU.S. federal agents who have clashed with protesters in Portland, Oregon, will begin a “phased withdrawal” from the city, Gov. Kate Brown said Wednesday.
Read more »
2 nabbed in ex-Nissan boss' escape say they won't flee U.S.A U.S. magistrate judge improperly denied release to a father and son wanted by Japan on charges that they helped sneak former Nissan Motor Co. Chairman Carlos Ghosn out of that country, their attorneys said Tuesday.
Read more »