The U.S. has ordered its consular staff to leave Shanghai, which is under a lockdown to contain a COVID-19 surge.
The State Department said the order is an upgrade from the "authorized" departure issued last week that made the decision voluntary.
The order covers "non-emergency U.S. government employees and their family members from U.S. Consulate General Shanghai." In its late Monday announcement, the department said, "Our change in posture reflects our assessment that it is best for our employees and their families to be reduced in number and our operations to be scaled down as we deal with the changing circumstances on the ground."
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
COVID-19: Arbitrator upholds B.C. Hydro's vaccine policy for employeesAn arbitrator has upheld a B.C. Hydro policy requiring all of its employees to receive COVID\u002D19 vaccinations that was opposed by a union representing many of those workers.
Read more »
COVID-19 response strains relationships in northern Alberta countyPublic health measures to try to curb the spread of COVID-19 have sown a stark divide in Mackenzie County, the least vaccinated region in Alberta
Read more »
Living with COVID-19: Experts divided on U.K. plan as cases soarPrime Minister Boris Johnson's conservative government is determined to stick to its 'living with COVID' plan, but experts disagree on whether the country is coping well.
Read more »
Opinion: Before Canada focuses on fourth COVID-19 shots, let’s get third doses to everyoneThe efficacy of a fourth COVID-19 vaccine on the general population is still unclear – and there’s plenty of work still to do on getting people their more important third doses
Read more »