U.S. accuses two Chinese nationals of hacking spree targeting COVID-19 data, defense secrets

Canada News News

U.S. accuses two Chinese nationals of hacking spree targeting COVID-19 data, defense secrets
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 globeandmail
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 32 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 16%
  • Publisher: 92%

U.S. authorities said Li Xiaoyu and Dong Jiazhi participated in a multiyear cyberespionage campaign that stole weapons designs, drug information, software source code and more

This translation has been automatically generated and has not been verified for accuracy.The U.S. Justice Department indicted two Chinese nationals for hacking defence contractors, COVID-19 researchers, and other companies worldwide, according to a court filing published on Tuesday.

Contact details for the pair were not immediately available. The Chinese Embassy in Washington did not immediately return a message seeking comment.The indictment did not name any specific companies, but it said that Li and Dong stole terabytes of data from computers around the world, including the United States, Britain, Germany, Australia and Belgium.

Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Demers said in a virtual news conference that the hackers occasionally worked on their own account, including a case in which Li allegedly tried to extort $15,000 in cryptocurrency from a victim.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

globeandmail /  🏆 5. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

'Lockdown Fatigue' Could Be Behind Rising COVID-19 Cases In Young People'Lockdown Fatigue' Could Be Behind Rising COVID-19 Cases In Young PeopleScientists are warning that the increase in cases could possibly cause a severe outbreak.
Read more »

N.S. reports no new COVID-19 cases for fourth day in a rowN.S. reports no new COVID-19 cases for fourth day in a rowNova Scotia is reporting no new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday for the fourth day in a row. Two active cases remain in the province.
Read more »

Groups call for urgent action to help restaurant industry amid COVID-19Groups call for urgent action to help restaurant industry amid COVID-19The Canadian Chamber of Commerce and others are calling on all levels of government to take 'urgent action' to keep restaurants viable through the COVID-19 pandemic.
Read more »

Haida Gwaii resident reports positive COVID-19 test, prompting new measures to curb potential spreadHaida Gwaii resident reports positive COVID-19 test, prompting new measures to curb potential spreadThe Haida Nation says the Skidegate Band and Old Massett Village councils have implemented curfews and set up checkpoints between communities to slow any spread of the virus and notes that a state of emergency issued earlier this year was updated Saturday
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 09:52:50