Trump takes back spotlight in ‘us vs. them’ war with states

Canada News News

Trump takes back spotlight in ‘us vs. them’ war with states
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 politico
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 54 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 59%

President Trump has declared his latest “us vs. them” war — portraying himself as the valiant captain overseeing insurgent governors.

President Donald Trump has declared his latest “us vs. them” war — portraying himself as the valiant captain overseeing insurgent governors.

Trump could try to punish states that don’t abide by his orders, as he did when he refused to give money to so-called sanctuary states after they refused to share information with federal immigration authorities. Governors vowed to not be deterred. And on Tuesday night, Trump similarly indicated he’d be willing to back down from his latest threat to the governors, saying he would talk to them by videoconference, likely Thursday.

“If they don't do a good job, we're going to come down on them very hard,” he said. “We’ll have no other choice.” “The president trumps the governors. That’s the reality of the system,” Gingrich said. “I strongly favor the president deciding but governors implementing.” As the coronavirus initially spread through the U.S., Trump declined to invoke a national shutdown, deferring to governors on decisions about schools, businesses and medical facilities. He eventually issued nonbinding social-distancing guidelines but only after several large states, including New York and California, had already acted.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

politico /  🏆 381. in US

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Ten U.S. states developing 'reopening' plans account for 38% of U.S. economyTen U.S. states developing 'reopening' plans account for 38% of U.S. economyThe ten U.S. states coordinating plans separately from the White House to reopen businesses shut by the coronavirus are responsible for an outsized proportion of the U.S. economy. On Monday, three states on the U.S. West Coast, led by California Governor Gavin Newsom, and seven on the East Coast, led
Read more »

Late U.S. intelligence alerts, slow Pentagon response, contributed to U.S. military's COVID-19 outbreak, documents showLate U.S. intelligence alerts, slow Pentagon response, contributed to U.S. military's COVID-19 outbreak, documents showU.S. Intelligence Community detected a new contagious disease was spreading through China in November, but it wasn't until after a U.S. soldier got sick in South Korea that an assessment was issued—one that could have slowed the spread of the disease, Newsweek has learned.
Read more »

Ten U.S. states developing 'reopening' plans account for 38% of U.S. economyTen U.S. states developing 'reopening' plans account for 38% of U.S. economyThe ten U.S. states coordinating plans separately from the White House to reopen businesses shut by the coronavirus are responsible for an outsized proportion of the U.S. economy.
Read more »

Trump announces 'halt' in US funding to World Health Organization amid coronavirus pandemicTrump announces 'halt' in US funding to World Health Organization amid coronavirus pandemicTrump has accused the World Health Organization of not moving quickly to sound the alarm over coronavirus and of being too China friendly.
Read more »

Trump announces US will halt funding to World Health Organization over coronavirus responseTrump announces US will halt funding to World Health Organization over coronavirus responsePresident Trump announced at the White House coronavirus news briefing on Tuesday that the United States will immediately cut all funding for the World Health Organization (WHO), saying it had put 'political correctness over lifesaving measures.'
Read more »

Trump calls for halt to US funding for World Health Organization amid coronavirus outbreakTrump calls for halt to US funding for World Health Organization amid coronavirus outbreak
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 20:19:57