The Trump administration's new Title IX rules are an attack on students—and #MeToo | Opinion

Canada News News

The Trump administration's new Title IX rules are an attack on students—and #MeToo | Opinion
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 Newsweek
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 54 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 52%

The Trump administration's new Title IX rules are an attack on students—and MeToo | Opinion

The #MeToo movement held the promise of an important cultural shift. No longer would survivors of sexual assault have to fear coming forward. No longer would we blame women for how short their skirt was. Or if they had been drinking. Or if they might have flirted.

While all attention is focused on COVID-19 and the economy, a backlash against #MeToo is underway. And students are among the targets. Allowing colleges and universities to hold trial-style hearings where the survivor of sexual harassment or assault could be subjected to live cross-examinations by representatives of the accused, compounding the traumas they already experienced.

These rules are not popular: When first proposed last year, they drew much criticism from educational institutions, gender advocates, civil rights groups, survivors and others. In fact, more than 125,000 people and groups weighed in during the public comment period, most of them in opposition. On the prevention front, we need to continue the hard work of changing campus culture by modernizing all policies and practices that perpetuate bias and diminish anyone based on gender. We need to foster more equitable and respectful environments in all regards; by leveling playing fields, we'll shift power differentials and discourage tolerance for unacceptable behavior.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

Newsweek /  🏆 468. in US

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

White House enacts new safety precautions as coronavirus moves closer to Trump's inner circleWhite House enacts new safety precautions as coronavirus moves closer to Trump's inner circleWhite House takes new safety precautions to protect President Donald Trump and his staff after two administration aides test positive for coronavirus.
Read more »

Semiconductor companies consider new plants in the U.S.Semiconductor companies consider new plants in the U.S.A spokesman for Intel, the biggest American chip maker, says the company is in discussions with the Defense Department about improving domestic technology sources.
Read more »

White House Pivots To Require Staff To Wear MasksWhite House Pivots To Require Staff To Wear MasksThe new rules come after several high-profile White House staffers tested positive for COVID-19.
Read more »

White House Pivots To Require Staff To Wear MasksWhite House Pivots To Require Staff To Wear MasksThe White House has ordered staff to wear masks at all times except while working at their desks—a change in protocol that comes after several high-profile White House staffers tested positive for COVID-19
Read more »

Melinda Gates says Trump Administration's COVID response is 'costing lives'Melinda Gates says Trump Administration's COVID response is 'costing lives'Melinda Gates, co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, is critical of the Trump administration's response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Read more »

Coronavirus updates: White House denies Mike Pence self-isolating report; unemployment could top 20%; US death toll nears 80KCoronavirus updates: White House denies Mike Pence self-isolating report; unemployment could top 20%; US death toll nears 80KA series of developments have have brought COVID-19 close to the inner circle of the White House in recent days. Here is the latest news Sunday.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 08:15:30