Ottawa police have charged a second man in connection with an arson at a Centretown apartment building last month and there is no apparent link between him and the 'Freedom Convoy' protest.
The incident happened at a building on Lisgar Street on Feb. 6, in the heart of the protest zone, more than a week into the three-week occupation.and the front doors had been forced closed and sealed with tape. A passerby noticed the flames and was able to open the door and put out the fire before anyone was hurt.
In a release Wednesday, police said Bartosz Wernick, 41, is charged with arson with disregard for human life, arson causing property damage, mischief, and possession of incendiary materials. Police said there is no information indicating Wernik was involved in any way with the convoy protest, which was ongoing at the time.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Ottawa pressed to create Indigenous infrastructure bodyThe body would help bridge the infrastructure gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities
Read more »
Former Ottawa teacher faces sexual assault chargesA former Ottawa teacher are her husband are facing sexual assault charges. CTV's Katie Griffin reports.
Read more »
Ottawa to invest at least $2 billion on mineral strategy for EV battery supply chainCanada\u0027s critical mineral strategy will focus on driving research, innovation and exploration: source
Read more »
Morning Update: Ottawa loosens restrictions on temporary foreign workersImmigration rule changes increase number of migrant employees in bid to ease labour shortages
Read more »
Ottawa expands access to temporary foreign workers to ease labour crunchNew rules allow businesses to hire more migrant employees to combat shortages that have caused problems for businesses during the pandemic recovery
Read more »
Woman involved in horse accident at Ottawa protest was ‘not seriously’ hurt: watchdog | Globalnews.caThe Special Investigation Unit said a 49-year-old protester was not injured seriously enough by a police horse at the so-called 'freedom convoy' protest to warrant a probe.
Read more »