Mike Tyson will reportedly be making a comeback by fighting Roy Jones Jr. in an exhibition match this September.
“It would be crazy to receive an offer to enter the ring with him and refuse,” Jones told sports.ru earlier this week when asked about a possible matchup with Tyson. “I had no intention of going back and fighting again but, for the sake of Mike Tyson, I agree to make an exception. For me, this is an opportunity that I cannot refuse. Of all those who wanted to go into the ring with him, he chose me.
Jones, 51, is widely considered a pound-for-pound great. He last fought in February of 2018 before retiring with a professional boxing record of 66-9 with notable wins over Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Antonio Tarver, Virgil Hill, John Ruiz and Felix Trinidad among others. Executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, Andy Foster, told Iole that Tyson and Jones won’t be wearing headgear but they will wear bigger 12-ounce gloves.
Tyson hasn’t fought since 2005 after his infamous loss to journeyman Kevin McBride. Tyson retired with a 50-6 record with two no-contests and championship wins over Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Mike Trout confirms he will play in 2020 - TSN.caMike Trout has decided to play for the Los Angeles Angels in the shortened baseball season, although his year will be interrupted in a few weeks by the birth of his first child.
Read more »
Guerrero Jr. goes deep to help Blue Jays top Red Sox in exhibition finale - Sportsnet.caVladimir Guerrero Jr., went deep and starter Trent Thornton pitched three shutout innings as the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Boston Red Sox 2-0 on Wednesday in rain-shortened exhibition action.
Read more »
Report: MLB, MLBPA re-engage on talks for expanded playoff format in 2020 - Sportsnet.caMajor League Baseball and the Players’ Association have reportedly re-engaged in talks about expanding the 2020 post-season to 16 teams.
Read more »
Royals' Dozier tests positive for COVID-19 before exhibition - TSN.caKansas City Royals outfielder Hunter Dozier has tested positive for COVID-19 and was placed on the injured list before the club played its final exhibition game against the Cardinals in St. Louis on Wednesday.
Read more »
Pelicans' Zion Williamson getting tested, but return to bubble unknown - Sportsnet.caZion Williamson, who left the NBA bubble last week, is being tested daily for the coronavirus and continues to show negative results. If that continues, he may only have to quarantine for four days when he returns to the team.
Read more »