Issues around the Northern Ireland Protocol are 'unlikely to be resolved' before the Stormont elections, Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said
Issues around the Northern Ireland Protocol are"unlikely to be resolved" before the Stormont elections, the Taoiseach has said.
Northern Ireland's First Minister Paul Givan resigned earlier this year as part of a DUP protest against the protocol. Asked about the stances, Mr Martin responded:"It's fair to say we've had different perspectives on this for quite some time. "Already the European Union has put forward proposals that present a significant change to how the protocol would operate.
"There are elections coming in May in Northern Ireland. In my view we should keep the channels going," he told the BBC."Progress has been made despite what you may hear. There has been a lot of positions put forward by the European Union that would reduce the levels of checks. "I say that as someone who would like to see reunification on this island," Simon Coveney told RTÉ's This Week.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Northern Ireland Protocol needs ‘significant changes’, Johnson tells MartinComment follows meeting between Taoiseach and British PM in England on Saturday
Read more »
Martin: Growing view in Northern Ireland that Brexit protocol is workingTaoiseach Micheál Martin has said there is an increasing view within Northern Ireland that the Brexit protocol is working
Read more »
Early entry to EU for Ukraine championed by Martin at EU summitBloc must act at time that world is becoming more polarised, argues Taoiseach in France
Read more »