Ontario has extended all of its emergency orders until July 22 in order to align with a new bill proposed at Queen’s Park that would allow certain emergency orders to remain in place until the government decides they are no longer necessary.
In a statement issued Thursday, the government said the decision was made “to ensure the province maintains the necessary flexibility to protect public health and safety as more businesses reopen and people go back to work.”
Ontario Premier Doug Ford first declared a state of emergency on March 17 as the province grappled with a surge in COVID-19 patients.Ford has previously said that he hopes not to have to extend the province’s state of emergency past June. "Our government is getting Ontario back on track and more people back to work, but at the same time taking steps to ensure we don't undo the tremendous progress we have made together," Ford said in a statement.
"By keeping these emergency measures in place, we will continue to support our frontline care providers, protect our most vulnerable, and ensure we can rapidly respond to potential outbreaks or surges."
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
COVID-19 update for July 8: Here's the latest on coronavirus in B.C.COVID\u002D19 update for July 8: Here\u0027s the latest on coronavirus in B.C.
Read more »
Daily horoscope for Wednesday, July 8, 2020Avoid shopping or important decisions until 2:30 PM EDT today (11:30 AM PDT). After that, the Moon moves from Aquarius into Pisces
Read more »
5 things to know for Wednesday, July 8, 2020Canada has surpassed 106,000 total cases of COVID-19, with nearly 70,000 cases considered recovered.
Read more »
Your daily horoscope: July 8Your daily horoscope
Read more »
July 14 bail hearing date set for Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s long-time associateMaxwell faces charges she recruited girls for Epstein to sexually abuse over two decades
Read more »