Ohio’s voter registration purge targeted thousands in error. Now, a call for change.

Canada News News

Ohio’s voter registration purge targeted thousands in error. Now, a call for change.
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 USATODAY
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 181 sec. here
  • 5 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 76%
  • Publisher: 63%

Ohio counties removed more than 460,000 voter registrations in two purges last year. But thousands of errors emerged last summer ahead of the second mass cancellation of voter registrations. DispatchAlerts

ASHLAND, Ohio — A week before Election Day 2016, Bill Gedraitis drove into town to cast an early vote that helped propel Donald Trump to the presidency.

“The system we have in place right now is prone to error — human error, vendor error,” LaRose said. “It’s unacceptably messy.”On Aug. 9, 2016, former Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, now the lieutenant governor, directed county boards of elections to send notices to voters that they had four years to either vote or respond to the notice.

If the registrant fails to respond to a confirmation mailing and fails to vote in two consecutive federal general elections after the mailing “Voter purges are a potential lever for voter suppression. If they’re done wrong, if there are mistakes, if there’s malice and the purges are undertaken in an irresponsible way, which results in eligible voters in large numbers being kicked off the rolls, that we view as voter suppression,” said Max Feldman, an attorney with the Brennan Center for Justice.

In Columbus, Franklin County elections officials identified about 1,100 others who were flagged for removal for inactivity, even though they had signed petitions.Increased attention prompted thousands of other voters to contact elections boards or the secretary of state’s office to update their registrations. Of about 235,000 registrations on the state’s last-chance list for September, 194,000 were actually purged.

Voters cast ballots at an elementary school in Westerville, Ohio, on Nov. 5, 2019. During that election, dozens of Ohio voters whose registrations had been purged showed up and cast provisional ballots. A settlement in August between a voting-rights group and the Ohio Secretary of State made that possible.That included Gedraitis and eight other voters in Ashland County, roughly halfway between Cleveland and Columbus.

Reporters also found 12 voters who county boards marked as removed for inactivity, but who had been removed for other reasons. Some had died, LaRose’s office said. Several were removed under a separate set of rules for those who cast provisional ballots. Race is not included in voter-registration records. But an analysis of the racial makeup of those purged in January 2019 that determined each voter’s likely race using census data connected to the voter’s surname and address estimated that 11.9% of those purged were black. That roughly matches Ohio’s population makeup.Voting rights activists lost their lawsuit to stop Ohio from canceling registrations for inactivity.

That settlement now is known as the APRI exception, for the A. Philip Randolph Institute that brought the lawsuit against the stateThe APRI exception stems from the lawsuit that the A. Philip Randolph Institute, an African-American union group affiliated with the AFL-CIO, filed in 2016 to challenge Ohio’s voter purge process.

In 2019, Secretary of State Frank LaRose negotiated a settlement with the A. Philip Randolph Institute to extend that exception to voters purged for inactivity in 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2019. The settlement also said those voters need only live in the same county, not at the same address.In November, during a low-turnout municipal and school-board election, dozens of voters whose registrations had been canceled cast provisional ballots that counted.

To ensure purged voters don’t walk out when presented with a provisional ballot, Washington wants to train poll workers to explain why their vote might count after all. After the September purge, in which ES&S was blamed for improperly flagging more than 1,600 registrations across 14 counties for removal, Ashland County changed vendors. It went instead with Triad, which serves the majority of Ohio counties.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

USATODAY /  🏆 100. in US

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Los Tigres Del Norte to Talk Making of Folsom Prison Doc at Billboard & Telemundo's 2020 Latinfest+Los Tigres Del Norte to Talk Making of Folsom Prison Doc at Billboard & Telemundo's 2020 Latinfest+Los tigresdelnorte is confirmed for an exclusive panel conversation at the 2020 LatinFestPlus by billboard and Telemundo
Read more »

Ohio Metal Plant Worker Dies After Falling Into a Chemical Vat of AcidDana Swisher was a worker at Techmetals, Inc. in Dayton, Ohio
Read more »

Republicans hold the cards at Trump's impeachment trial — but that could changeRepublicans hold the cards at Trump's impeachment trial — but that could changeThe Senate impeachment trial of President Trump will begin in earnest this afternoon with a tussle between Republicans and Democrats over whether witnesses should be called immediately.
Read more »

Princess Diana’s former chef spots a major error in Peter Phillips’ new milk advert, arguing that the royal was not raised on Windsor Jersey milk, as he claimsPrincess Diana’s former chef spots a major error in Peter Phillips’ new milk advert, arguing that the royal was not raised on Windsor Jersey milk, as he claimsPrincess Diana's former chef Darren McGrady spots a major error in Peter Phillips' new milk advert
Read more »

New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows that two-thirds of voters want the Senate to call new impeachment witnessesNew Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows that two-thirds of voters want the Senate to call new impeachment witnessesNearly two-thirds of registered voters (63 percent) agree with Democrats that the Senate should call new witnesses to testify during President Trump’s impeachment trial, according to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll. Conducted on Jan. 21 and 22 as the Senate trial was getting underway, the poll suggests
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 08:23:05