Mark Furey says a number of federal Liberal MPs are challenging their government’s decision to participate in the joint review, adding he would approve of a more comprehensive public inquiry if Ottawa agrees to do the same
Andrew Vaughan/The Canadian Press
Bowing to public and political pressure, Nova Scotia’s justice minister says he is now in favour of a federal-provincial public inquiry into the mass shooting in April that claimed 22 lives.The minister notes a number of federal Liberal MPs are challenging their government’s decision to participate in the joint review, adding he would approve of a more comprehensive public inquiry if Ottawa agrees to do the same.
Earlier in the day, four Liberal MPs from Nova Scotia – Darren Fisher, Sean Fraser, Mike Kelloway and Lenore Zann – came forward to challenge the decision last week to move ahead with a joint review, saying a public inquiry would be preferable. Fisher, the MP for Dartmouth-Cole Harbour, issued a statement saying the gravity of the shootings demands a public inquiry, which would have more authority than a joint review.
Several hundred people gathered at a Halifax park to demand a public inquiry into the April mass shooting that killed 22 people in the province.Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Nova Scotia reaches milestone with zero confirmed COVID cases; other provinces see resurgenceNova Scotia has zero confirmed active COVID-19 cases – including no new cases and no hospitalizations – for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic.
Read more »
Protests in two Nova Scotia locations over mass shooting review decisionHundreds of people gathered at a Halifax park and in the riding of Nova Scotia's justice minister today to demand a public inquiry into the April mass shooting that killed 22 people in the province.
Read more »
Nova Scotia man who evaded police for nearly a week makes court appearanceTobias Charles Doucette, who faces nine charges, led police on a days-long manhunt after allegedly striking an officer in the neck with an edged weapon as police responded to a domestic violence call at a hotel in Bridgewater on July 20
Read more »
Protests spreading over mass shooting review decision by Ottawa, Nova ScotiaThe protests followed last week’s announcement by the provincial and federal governments of an independent review, which has been criticized by relatives of the 22 victims
Read more »