Migrants say Libya militias conscripted them to clean arms

Canada News News

Migrants say Libya militias conscripted them to clean arms
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 AP
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 41 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 20%
  • Publisher: 51%

Migrants who survived the deadly airstrike on a Libyan detention center say they had been conscripted by a local militia to work in an adjacent weapons factory.

Debris covers the ground and an emergency vehicle after an airstrike at a detention center in Tajoura, east of Tripoli in Libya, Wednesday, July 3, 2019. An airstrike hit the detention center for migrants early Wednesday, killing several.

The Tripoli government has blamed Wednesday’s pre-dawn strike, which killed at least 44 migrants and wounded more than 130, on the LNA and its foreign backers. The LNA, led by Field Marshal Khalifa Hifter, says it targeted a nearby militia position but denies striking the hangar where the migrants were being held.

Two migrants told The Associated Press that for months they were sent day and night to the workshop inside the detention center. Many of those who died in the attack were crushed under debris as they slept. Pictures shared by the migrants show the hangar reduced to a pile of rubble littered with body parts. More than 48 hours after the strike, relief workers were still pulling bodies from the rubble while the wounded lay on bloody mattresses in a courtyard, receiving medical aid.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

AP /  🏆 728. in US

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Airstrike kills dozens of migrants at detention center in LibyaAirstrike kills dozens of migrants at detention center in LibyaAn airstrike killed at least 31 migrants held at a detention center near the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
Read more »

Airstrike hits migrant detention center in Libya, 40 killedAirstrike hits migrant detention center in Libya, 40 killedThe airstrike that struck a detention center for migrants in Tripoli, killing at least 40 people, has raised further concerns about the EU's policy of partnering with Libyan militias to prevent migrants from crossing the Mediterranean.
Read more »

Libyan official says airstrike kills 40 migrants in TripoliLibyan official says airstrike kills 40 migrants in TripoliBENGHAZI, Libya (AP) — An airstrike hit a detention center for migrants early Wednesday in the Libyan capital, killing at least 40 people, a health official in the country's U.N.-supported...
Read more »

US investigates weapons captured at base in Libya under Haftar's controlUS investigates weapons captured at base in Libya under Haftar's controlThe UN-recognised GNA announced finding US-made weapons at seized base belonging to warlord Khalifa Haftar. Seized weapons included four Javelin anti-tank missiles packed in wooden crates marked 'armed forces of the United Arab Emirates.'
Read more »

At least 40 killed after airstrike targets migrant center in LibyaAt least 40 killed after airstrike targets migrant center in LibyaAt least 40 people have been killed and another 80 injured after an airstrike hit a migrant center east of the Libyan capital of Tripoli early Wednesday, according to the Health Ministry's emergency service Field Medicine and Support Center.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 03:13:34