The government that spent Sunday morning trying to figure out what to say on Twitter wouldn’t react any faster had the emergency been real
The good news is, you’re not dying, and neither is anyone else. But on Sunday morning, millions of Ontarians got a rude wake-up call that may have left them momentarily pondering their own mortality. An emergency alert message was blasted out across the province warning of an unspecified emergency at the Pickering nuclear power station in the eastern Greater Toronto Area. The alert said there had been no release of radioactivity and to stay tuned for more information.
It’s too soon at time of writing to explain what led to this embarrassing and very serious error. Ontario Power Generation, which operates the plant, has said it will get to the bottom of it. Premier Doug Ford’s office has said the same. A lot of possible explanations have been floated: a minor equipment failure at the plant triggered an automatic alert despite not posing any real danger, a training exercise triggered a public alert that was intended to be simulated but not released.
Important update: the alert regarding #Pickering Nuclear was sent in error. There is no danger to the public or environment.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Matt Gurney: Neil Peart slipped out of his concerts quietly. He left this life the same wayPeart liked to slip out of his concerts without drawing any attention so he could ride off on his own, finding his centre again. It’s no surprise he chose to exit this life the same way
Read more »
Emergency alert reports ‘incident’ at Ontario’s Pickering nuclear power stationEMERGENCY ALERT FROM CANADIAN PROVINCE OF ONTARIO REPORTS 'INCIDENT' AT PICKERING NUCLEAR POWER STATION, SAYS THERE HAS BEEN NO ABNORMAL RELEASE OF RADIOACTIVITY
Read more »
HuffPost is now a part of Verizon Media
Read more »