Former Canadian Armed Forces reservist Patrik Mathews was sentenced Thursday to nine years in prison for his role in what the FBI calls a violent plot to exploit escalating American social tensions and trigger a 'race war' in the United States.
GREENBELT, MD. -- Former Canadian Armed Forces reservist Patrik Mathews was sentenced Thursday to nine years in prison for his role in what investigators called a violent plot to exploit escalating American social tensions and trigger a "race war" in the United States.
"In the letter you submitted, you didn't necessarily inspire confidence that you've changed to the point that there's no longer a threat of violence from you," Chuang told Mathews. "We're disappointed the sentence didn't end up at the low end," defence attorney Joseph Balter said outside court. The pair may have used a lot of incendiary, distasteful rhetoric, but were never serious about acting on it, he argued.
Both men pleaded guilty in June to charges that included illegally transporting a firearm and obstruction of justice. A third co-defendant, William Garfield Bilbrough IV, pleaded guilty in December to helping Mathews enter the U.S. illegally. He was sentenced to five years in prison.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Ex-reservist, neo-Nazi member gets nine years in U.S. prisonAn ex-reservist, neo-Nazi member gets nine years in U.S. prison. The Manitoba man had already pleaded guilty to weapons charges related to his role in a white supremacist plan to disrupt a gun-rights rally
Read more »
U.S. judge expected to decide today on jail time for ex-Canadian Forces reservistFormer Canadian Armed Forces reservist Patrik Mathews is expected to learn today how long he'll be behind bars in the United States. Mathews, 28, from Beausejour, Man., had already pleaded guilty to weapons charges related to his role in a white supremacist plot to touch off a U.S. race war.
Read more »
Demon-obsessed teen gets 35 years in slaying of sisters in U.K.A 19-year-old British man obsessed with demons was sentenced Thursday to serve at least 35 years in prison for murdering two sisters, in the belief that the killings would help him win a lottery jackpot.
Read more »