Jets defenceman Logan Stanley has re-signed with the team. But he says he needs to battle back from a string of injuries to earn his place on a crowded blue line.
“I missed, I think, eight weeks when I broke my ankle there at the start of the year,” Stanley said, referring to damage done by blocking a shot in a 4-0 win over St. Louis at Canada Life Centre on Oct. 24. “Mentally, you just work so hard all summer to get into shape and get your body feeling good and then — boom — you’re out again.”
Stanley returned to the lineup for a 5-2 win in St. Louis on Dec. 8, but suffered another ankle injury in the next night’s 3-1 win over Chicago when he went into the end boards awkwardly on just his fifth shift of the game. ” I worked hard and came back, and then to get hurt again in a fluky situation — and miss another eight or nine weeks — it’s just mentally draining as much as it is physically,” admitted the six-foot seven-inch, left-shot defenceman.
Besides spending too much time for his liking on the trainer’s table, several developments have factored into the challenges Stanley has faced in gaining traction as a regular on the Winnipeg blue line. They include the addition of veterans Brenden Dillon and Nate Schmidt prior to the start of the 2021-22 season, the emergence of Dylan Samberg, and inconsistent play on his own part. According to a St.
“It was nothing against the organization, the city of Winnipeg or my teammates,” Stanley said. “I’m very happy being in Winnipeg and I’d love to play there for my whole career… The team that drafted me, I’ve built some great relationships there. It wasn’t anything about that, it was more just the opportunity to play in some games. At the end of the day, you have to worry about your own career, too.
Stanley said he is also very clear on the fact he needs to earn playing time on a still-crowded blue line. “Play well in those preseason games to start the year and hopefully get into the six-man roster to start the season and just go from there in trying to build a good foundation,” Stanley said. “You know, get some trust back with the coaches. I know I’m a capable NHL defenceman, and last year was unfortunate with the back to back ankle injuries.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Cody Fajardo takes first-team reps for Montreal Alouettes will start against Winnipeg Blue BombersQuarterback Cody Fajardo took first-team reps with the Montreal Alouettes' offence Tuesday after missing the team's past two games with an upper-body injury, reports TSN's Kenzie Lalonde. Following practice, Alouettes head coach Jason Maas announced that Fajardo will start against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Read more »
Roy Wood Jr. to headline Just for Laughs in WinnipegThe Just For Laughs Comedy Tour is celebrating its 20th year with a slate of four performers including Wood, Malik Elassal, Joyelle Nicole Johnson and Arthur Simeon.
Read more »
Toronto Argonauts Winnipeg Blue Bombers in control of finishing atop respective divisionsChad Kelly and Co. come off their third — and final — bye week preparing to host the Calgary Stampeders on Friday night. Toronto (7-1) remains atop the East Division, just ahead of the Montreal Alouettes (6-3), who have won four straight.
Read more »
Winnipeg West End apartment building deemed unsafe, leaving dozens displacedDozens of residents are being evicted from the Adanac apartment building on Sargent Avenue after an order to vacate was issued by the city, due to numerous safety issues.
Read more »
Winnipeg police Chief Smyth calls stricter bail ‘balancing act’ with overrepresented groupsPolice chiefs were among the voices calling on Ottawa to reform the bail system to make it harder for certain accused people to return to the community.
Read more »