Families Warned Ford About Care Home For Weeks Before Scathing Military Report

Canada News News

Families Warned Ford About Care Home For Weeks Before Scathing Military Report
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 HuffPostCanada
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 81 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 36%
  • Publisher: 53%

Inspectors also documented the home’s rule-breaking for years before COVID-19 broke out.

“This is a very tragic, difficult time for the residents, families, and staff at Orchard Villa. My heart breaks for them,” Bethlenfalvy said in the statement. “We have been working with our health partners to redeploy resources that will enable Lakeridge Health to address infection control and resident care at Orchard Villa immediately.”

Bethlenfalvy told Parkes that Orchard Villa had only reached out for help from the government April 17, the day they spoke on the phone, she says. “We have heard numerous rumours and hearsay about staff shortages, food shortages, lack of care and unsafe health practices,” the letter said. “We would like to verify what is true and what is rumour, but we have had no verifiable information on any account. Those of us who have chosen to send our families to the hospital have received horrible reports regarding their physical state beyond which even COVID-19 could have induced.

A staff member emailed back to ask what their letter was about and said they would flag it to the premier’s team, Parkes said. “What has occurred at Orchard Villa and other long-term care homes across the province is tragic. I offer my deepest condolences to you, your families and everyone affected,” Ford told the families by email June 1.Premier Doug Ford in an email to Orchard Villa families

The Canadian Armed Forces stayed in the home throughout May to provide resident care, cook for and feed residents and screen for the virus, Gillian Sloggett told HuffPost by email. The military left the home on June 4, according to an update sent to families Friday that was shared with HuffPost. Lakeridge Health continues to oversee the daily operations of the home, the email said. Residents are now allowed to go outside for walks and will soon be able to eat together with physical distancing measures in place.Parkes and her family are suing Southbridge Care for $1 million in an individual claim.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

HuffPostCanada /  🏆 61. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Canadian troops might be called to testify in lawsuits against long-term care homesCanadian troops might be called to testify in lawsuits against long-term care homesThe military had more than 1,000 service members in 15 long-term care facilities in Quebec and almost 500 in five homes in Ontario last week
Read more »

CTV National News: Crisis in care homes continuesCTV National News: Crisis in care homes continuesThe Canadian military has been called to help asses a COVID-19 outbreak inside an Ont. long-term care home. Annie Bergeron-Oliver reports.
Read more »

Military deployed to another Ontario long-term care home ravaged by COVID-19Military deployed to another Ontario long-term care home ravaged by COVID-19The military has been deployed to another Ontario long-term care home that has been hit hard by COVID-19.
Read more »

Canadian troops may be called to testify in court cases against long-term care homesCanadian troops may be called to testify in court cases against long-term care homesThe unusual scenario follows the deployment of hundreds of service members in April and May to more than two-dozen nursing homes in Ontario and Quebec hit hard by COVID-19.
Read more »

Troops could be called to testify in lawsuits against long-term care homesTroops could be called to testify in lawsuits against long-term care homesThe unusual scenario follows the deployment of hundreds of service members in April and May to more than two-dozen nursing homes in Ontario and Quebec hit hard by COVID-19
Read more »

Military helicopter did not respond as expected before crash off coast of Greece, report findsMilitary helicopter did not respond as expected before crash off coast of Greece, report findsA preliminary investigation report published by the Royal Canadian Air Force says investigators will now focus on both the Cyclone helicopter’s various systems and what role ‘human factors’ played in the crash
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 07:44:26