Ontario PC Leader Doug Ford reportedly joked about bringing back the death penalty during a campaign speech at a London, Ont., police chief gala in late January.
Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford speaks during an event on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2025 in Ottawa. reported the news Thursday, saying in a recording of Ford's speech it had obtained that the politician talked about empowering judges to "send 'em right to sparky." Canada
A spokesperson for the PC Party shared a statement Thursday evening clarifying the remarks, after the story was published. "The premier made a poor-taste joke out of frustration for the many people affected by violent criminals out on our streets because of the federal government's broken bail system and soft-on-crime policies," the spokesperson said.
"The premier does not support capital punishment but rather firmly believes more needs to be done to keep violent and repeat offenders behind bars where they belong," she said. "God forbid they kill an innocent person," Ford said at the gala, according to the Star report. "I don't even go 25 years. I send 'em right to sparky and then we'll take everything from there."Ford says he'll honour Ontario's EV commitment, Crombie and Stiles less definitive
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
PCs, Liberals square off with dueling Super Bowl adsOntario Liberal Leader Bonnie Crombie and Ontario PC Leader Doug Ford.
Read more »
Snap election doesn’t leave Ontario vulnerable amid tariff threat, Doug Ford insistsFord warned of uncertainty with the U.S. tariff plans
Read more »
Ontario Premier Doug Ford Wears 'Canada is Not for Sale' Hat at First Ministers MeetingOntario Premier Doug Ford was seen wearing a hat with the slogan 'Canada is not for sale' as he arrived at a first ministers meeting in Ottawa on January 15, 2025.
Read more »
VIDEO: Should Doug Ford call an early Ontario election?'If he goes ahead with an early election, it is purely political': Former Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne weighed in all the speculation during a recent appearance on our Inside the Village podcast
Read more »
Ontario Premier Doug Ford Considers Snap Election Amid US Tariff ThreatOntario Premier Doug Ford is considering calling a snap provincial election as early as next week in response to US President Donald Trump's threat of 25-percent tariffs on Canadian and Mexican goods. Ford's chief of staff, Patrick Sackville, sent an internal memo emphasizing the need for a strong political mandate to combat the tariffs and support Ontario businesses and workers. The potential election date, first reported by the Toronto Star, would see voters head to the polls in late February. Ford has repeatedly declined to rule out calling an election ahead of the scheduled vote in June 2026.
Read more »
Doug Ford says ‘stay tuned’ when asked about an early Ontario electionPremier Doug Ford gave his clearest indication so far that he may send Ontario voters to the polls more than a year early.
Read more »