A previously scheduled U.S. Senate intelligence committee hearing on global threats was upstaged Tuesday by the revelation that top Trump administration officials mistakenly disclosed war plans in a messaging group that included a journalist shortly before the U.S. attacked Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis.
A previously scheduled U.S. Senate intelligence committee hearing on global threats was upstaged Tuesday by the revelation that top Trump administration officials mistakenly disclosed war plans in a messaging group that included a journalist shortly before the U.S. attacked Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis.Democratic Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia, left, and Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton, the Republican who leads the Senate intelligence committee, are shown Tuesday in Washington, D.C.
Hours before those attacks started, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth posted operational details about the plan in the messaging group, "including information about targets, weapons the U.S. would be deploying, and attack sequencing," Goldberg said. His report omitted the details but Goldberg termed it a "shockingly reckless" use of a Signal chat.
Ratcliffe denied that any classified material was discussed in the group chat, to the bafflement of several Democratic senators, while saying that the use of Signal was permissible under the circumstances. According to screenshots of the chat reported by The Atlantic, officials in the group debated whether the U.S. should carry out the strikes, and at one point Vance appeared to question whether U.S. allies in Europe, more exposed to shipping disruption in the region, deserved U.S. help.
But back in D.C., Warner said the "Signal fiasco" was the latest disorienting act from the U.S., which has included "treating our allies like adversaries," mentioning reports that White House adviser Peter Navarro's suggestion that Canada should be dropped from the Five Eyes intelligence-gathering alliance.Could the U.S. push Canada out of the Five Eyes spy network?
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Trump orders strikes on Yemen's Houthi rebels, issues fresh threats to backer IranU.S. President Donald Trump said he ordered a series of airstrikes on Yemen's capital, Sanaa, on Saturday, promising to use 'overwhelming lethal force' until Iranian-backed Houthi rebels cease their attacks on shipping along a vital maritime corridor.
Read more »
Trump orders strikes on Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen and issues new warning to IranPresident Donald Trump said he ordered a series of airstrikes on Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, on Saturday, promising to use “overwhelming lethal force” until Iranian-backed Houthi rebels cease their attacks on shipping along a vital maritime corridor.
Read more »
Trump Orders Strikes On Houthi Rebels In Yemen And Issues New Warning“No terrorist force will stop American commercial and naval vessels from freely sailing the Waterways of the World,' Trump said in a social media post.
Read more »
Trump says he ordered airstrikes on Iran-backed Houthi rebels in YemenTrump promises to use ‘overwhelming lethal force’ until the rebels cease their attacks on shipping along a vital maritime corridor
Read more »
Trump Orders Strikes On Iran-Backed Houthi Rebels In Yemen And Issues New Warning“No terrorist force will stop American commercial and naval vessels from freely sailing the Waterways of the World,' Trump said in a social media post.
Read more »
U.S. Fighter Jets Hit Houthi Targets in Yemen as Trump Orders ‘Decisive’ Military ActionPresident Trump: 'To all Houthi terrorists, YOUR TIME IS UP.'
Read more »