The community has conducted more than 2,000 tests of people living both on and off the reserve, with just 22 positive cases
A closed sign at the Blackfoot Crossing historical site at the Siksika First Nation reserve located southeast of Calgary, which is seeing a rise in COVID-19 cases this past week, on July 7, 2020.Dozens of homes on an Alberta First Nation are under isolation as the community copes with an outbreak of COVID-19, but the local health authority says robust testing, contact tracing and restrictions including a curfew appear to be bringing the outbreak under control.
“This, to me, really reflects the comprehensiveness of the response of Siksika Nation,” Mr. White said. ”We’ve been quite successful in navigating those systems on and off reserve, getting support for our members who have other complex needs.” Siksika Nation declared a local state of emergency in March and recorded its first positive case in June. Mr. White said the cases of COVID-19 are believed to have originated in Calgary, which has been a provincial hotspot for infections.
The outbreak also came as the community was preparing for its annual Sun Dance, an important spiritual event held last week that brings people in the community together in prayer. Siksika Health worked with organizers to come up with a plan to ensure the event could be held safely. Participants were tested before the event, screened upon arrival with questionnaires, and tested again several days later, Mr. White said.
Mr. Little Light is a local contractor but hasn’t been able to work since March. He’s hoping to be tested this week to be cleared to return to work.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Australian border closure sparked by COVID-19 outbreak creates chaosState line between New South Wales and Victoria is scheduled to close on Tuesday for the first time in 100 years
Read more »
New Brunswick COVID-19 rules require venues collect patrons’ contact info in case of outbreakNew Brunswick’s mandatory order says anyone accepting patrons for the purposes of eating, drinking, socializing, ceremony or entertainment, are required to collect their contact information
Read more »
Turbulence in Canadian opinion on airlines COVID-19 response: pollA new poll suggests turbulence ahead for airlines seeking public support for their current COVID-19 plans.
Read more »
COVID-19 Canada | CTV News | CoronavirusNova Scotia's top doctor, Robert Strang, appealed to residents to do a better job of wearing masks: 'It's important that we normalize this as quickly as possible before the second wave of COVID-19 arrives.' Find the latest information here:
Read more »
Nicaraguan doctors face political pressure as coronavirus outbreak worsensPresident Daniel Ortega’s increasingly authoritarian government seems more focused on hiding the COVID-19 outbreak than treating it
Read more »