British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Wednesday that the United Kingdom stands ready to open the door to almost 3 million Hong Kong citizens as the city's leader arrived in Beijing for meetings on a planned national security law that has many worried about their futures.
Johnson, in a column published online by a Hong Kong newspaper, said the security law would curtail freedoms in Hong Kong and conflict with China's obligations under its agreement with the United Kingdom to take back the former British colony in 1997.
China shocked many of Hong Kong's 7.5 million people when it announced earlier this month that it would enact national security laws for the city, which is guaranteed a high level of autonomy outside of foreign and defence affairs. About 350,000 Hong Kong citizens hold British National Overseas passports, a legacy of the colonial era, and 2.5 million others are eligible to apply for them, Johnson said in his column. Long lines have formed at DHL courier offices in the city since the announcement as some people rush to apply for or renew their BNO passports.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Hong Kong leader criticizes 'double standards' over protestsHong Kong's leader on Tuesday criticized the 'double standards' of foreign governments regarding national security, pointing to the current unrest in the United States as an example of how attitudes differ when protests hit home.
Read more »
Ottawa urged to open its doors to people fleeing Hong KongNearly 50 Hong Kong residents, most of them activists who took part in the pro-democracy protests, have already applied for refugee status in Canada
Read more »
Hong Kong police ban Tiananmen vigil for first time in 30 yearsHong Kong police on Monday banned an upcoming vigil marking the Tiananmen crackdown anniversary citing the coronavirus pandemic, the first time the gathering has been halted in three decades.
Read more »
Hong Kong police ban Tiananmen vigil for first time in 30 yearsHong Kong police on Monday banned an upcoming vigil marking the Tiananmen crackdown anniversary citing the coronavirus pandemic, the first time the gathering has been halted in three decades.
Read more »