The Blue Jays have been given clearance to play games at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario Premier Doug Ford confirmed Thursday afternoon.
The premier said the decision was made after discussions with federal, provincial and municipal medical officers of health were had.
Ford’s comments come shortly after the province’s Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Lisa MacLeod told TSN Radio 1200 in Ottawa that the MLB team had been given the go ahead. On Thursday afternoon, the Blue Jays said they are not confirming MacLeod’s statements at this time and noted that the club has not yet received the necessary written approvals from government and public health.
The Blue Jays’ season opener is scheduled to take place on July 24 in Tampa Bay. Their home opener is scheduled for July 29 against Washington.This is a breaking news story. More details to come.
Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Blue Jays Notebook: Shoemaker's work during shutdown paying dividends - Sportsnet.caWhile plenty of MLB clubs are no doubt looking to install back-up plans for their less-than-stretched-out starters during the first week of the season, the Blue Jays appear to be in pretty good shape at the top of their rotation — thanks in no small part to the work their pitchers put in during the pandemic-induced delay.
Read more »
Blue Jays look to narrow gap between comfort and readiness as games loom - Sportsnet.caReady or not, the BlueJays' season begins on July 24. Until then, no reps can go to waste, as Toronto prepares quickly for the 60-game sprint they'll soon embark upon. (via ShiDavidi)
Read more »
Seven under-the-radar Blue Jays standing out in summer camp - TSN.caWith teams carrying 30 players for the first two weeks of the Major League Baseball season, there’s a lot of bottom-of-the-roster battles worth paying attention to - even if the Toronto Blue Jays don’t have a lot of truly tough decisions to make, Scott Mitchell writes.
Read more »
Blue Jays simulation: Bo Bichette shines ahead of All-Star break - Sportsnet.caMike Wilner pauses his Toronto Blue Jays simulation season ahead of the MLB returning for its 60-game 2020 season. Prospect Nate Pearson makes his long-anticipated simulated MLB debut against the Red Sox and Bo Bichette shines with another phenomenal week.
Read more »
Blue Jays have pitching options, but Ken Giles expects old school approach - Sportsnet.caThe lightened workload opens up all kinds of room for creativity, especially on the pitching side, where usage patterns have been evolving rapidly in recent years. With fewer games, teams will be able to either concentrate innings among their best pitchers, or divide the burden more widely across expanded rosters.
Read more »