Belarus leader accuses Russia of 'dirty intentions' as mercenaries case opens

Canada News News

Belarus leader accuses Russia of 'dirty intentions' as mercenaries case opens
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 CTVNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 23 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 12%
  • Publisher: 99%

Belarusian authorities have opened a criminal case against more than 30 Russian private military contractors detained earlier this week, on the charges of plotting terrorist acts, Security Council secretary Andrei Ravkov said Thursday.

The Belarusian State Security Committee, still known by its Soviet-era name KGB, said Wednesday it detained 32 contractors from private Russian military firm Wagner outside Minsk, the country's capital. One more person was reportedly detained in the south of the country. The detained were accused of planning to destabilize Belarus ahead of the presidential election.

"It's necessary to immediately ask the relevant Russian structures to explain what's going on," Lukashenko said. Ravkov said the country's law enforcement is currently searching for more Russian contractors reportedly remaining in Belarus. Peskov said Thursday he is not aware of any private military companies in Russia, adding that "there is no such thing as a private military company in Russian law."

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CTVNews /  🏆 1. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Russia rejects accusations it is spreading coronavirus disinformation in the U.S.Russia rejects accusations it is spreading coronavirus disinformation in the U.S.U.S. officials told The Associated Press that Russian intelligence services were using a trio of English-language websites to spread disinformation about the pandemic, seeking to exploit a crisis that America is struggling to contain ahead of the presidential election
Read more »

Tenet now scheduled to open in Canada on Aug. 27, a week ahead of U.S.Tenet now scheduled to open in Canada on Aug. 27, a week ahead of U.S.Christopher Nolan's aspiring blockbuster will open in international markets before showing in the U.S.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 14:32:50