Addis Ababa government tells residents to prepare to defend neighbourhoods against Tigrayan forces

Canada News News

Addis Ababa government tells residents to prepare to defend neighbourhoods against Tigrayan forces
Canada Latest News,Canada Headlines
  • 📰 globeandmail
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 64 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 29%
  • Publisher: 92%

Addis Ababa government tells residents to prepare to defend neighbourhoods after the Tigray People’s Liberation Front says it is considering marching into the city

Authorities in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa on Tuesday urged residents to prepare to defend their neighbourhoods after forces from Tigray region, who have been fighting the central government for a year, indicated they could advance on the city.

“I will try to buy food commodities in advance. But so far I haven’t yet purchased anything,” said the woman, who asked not to be named. The governments of four of the country’s 10 regions also called upon Ethiopians to mobilize to fight against the Tigrayan forces, state-affiliated Fana TV said. Relations with the TPLF soured after they accused him of centralizing power at the expense of Ethiopia’s regional states – an accusation Abiy denies.TPLF spokesperson Getachew Reda said that if the Tigrayan forces and their allies succeeded in removing the government, they would establish an interim government.There would also need to be a national dialogue, he said, but Abiy and his ministers would not be asked to take part.The government has also said it wants to take TPLF leaders to trial.

Spokespeople for the government, military and the Amhara region did not return calls seeking further comment on Tuesday. Jeffrey Feltman said Washington was seeing signs of famine and near-famine and that it was mostly government restrictions that were preventing humanitarian help from getting to people.When he first came to power, Abiy enacted significant political reforms but rights groups say many of those freedoms have since been rolled back.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

globeandmail /  🏆 5. in CA

Canada Latest News, Canada Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

B.C. residents who got 2 AstraZeneca doses may get booster shot sooner, health officials announceB.C. residents who got 2 AstraZeneca doses may get booster shot sooner, health officials announceB.C. residents who received two AstraZeneca shots to protect themselves against COVID-19 may receive an invitation to get their booster shot a little earlier than others.
Read more »

Security patch 'all about the optics,' government adviser says when told installing it didn't make senseSecurity patch 'all about the optics,' government adviser says when told installing it didn't make senseAdviser cautioned that the patch would \u0027enable unimportant work to displace our important priorities\u0027
Read more »

Taiwan to boost reserve training amid China tensionTaiwan to boost reserve training amid China tensionTaiwan’s defence ministry says reserve forces will receive increased training
Read more »

Bettman apologizes to Beach, defends NHL in wake of sexual assault allegationsBettman apologizes to Beach, defends NHL in wake of sexual assault allegationsNHL commissioner Gary Bettman publicly apologized to Kyle Beach for what the former Chicago Blackhawks prospect has been through after the player said he was sexually assaulted by an assistant coach in 2010. Bettman said the league 'could not be more sorry for the trauma that Kyle has had to endure.
Read more »

Gary Bettman apologizes to Beach, defends NHL in wake of sexual assault allegationsGary Bettman apologizes to Beach, defends NHL in wake of sexual assault allegationsBettman said the league ‘could not be more sorry for the trauma that Kyle has had to endure’
Read more »

NHL Gary Bettman Chicago Blackhawks Kyle Beach - TSN.caNHL Gary Bettman Chicago Blackhawks Kyle Beach - TSN.caCommissioner Gary Bettman on Monday defended the NHL’s decisions and discipline meted out following an investigation into the Chicago Blackhawks’ handling of sexual assault allegations in 2010.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 10:39:10