Beyond the Breaking News

President Trump Delays Iran Military Strike Amid Talks, Warns of Looming Danger

World News

President Trump Delays Iran Military Strike Amid Talks, Warns of Looming Danger
President TrumpIranMilitary Strike

President Donald Trump announced on social media that he is postponing a planned military strike on Iran until further notice, citing 'serious negotiations' underway. He gave no details about the strike, but instructed the U.S. military to be prepared for a full-scale assault.

President Donald Trump walks down the stairs of Air Force One upon his arrival at Joint Base Andrews, Md. , Friday, May 15, 2026. President Donald Trump said he is holding off on a planned military strike on Iran for Tuesday at the request of several allies in the Middle East because"serious negotiations" are underway.

The Monday social media announcement comes a day after Trump warned Tehran the"clock is ticking" to strike a deal, his latest threat to end the ceasefire struck in mid-April. Trump didn't offer details about the planned attack but said he instructed the U.S. military to be prepared for a possible"full, large-scale assault of Iran.

"and oil prices jumped after Trump warned Tehran that the"clock is ticking" as U.S.-Iran negotiations over a permanent end to theThe"Anti-Weaponization Fund" was announced by the Justice Department as part of a deal to resolve President Donald Trump's case over the leak of his tax returns. Democrats and government watchdogs immediatelyThe State Department has imposed a new layer of sanctions on several Cuban government agencies, including the Interior Ministry and National Police and Intelligence Directorate, as the Trump administration ratchets up pressure against the island.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Monday he had also designated 11 Cuban government officials for sanctions, including the ministers of justice, energy and mines, and communications, along with the chief of staff of the Cuban army and the chief of staff of military counterintelligence. The sanctions block any assets that they may have or that come into contact with the U.S. financial system.

However, many of those designated had already been subject to U.S. sanctions.

"These sanctions advance the Trump administration's comprehensive campaign to address the pressing national security threats posed by Cuba's communist regime and to hold accountable both the regime and those who provide it material support," Rubio said in a statement. Trump's announcement in a social media post Monday came as he had threatened the clock was ticking for Iran toThe president did not offer details about the planned attack but said but he instructed the U.S. military"to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.

" Trump had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for May 19, but over the weekend he warned,"For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them. "A Minnesota prosecutor on Monday announced charges against an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer in the nonfatal shooting of a Venezuelan man during the Trump administration's crackdown in Minnesota.

The officer, Christian Castro, is charged with four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime in the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said at a news conference. A warrant was issued for his arrest. A federal officer shot Sosa-Celis in the thigh after he and another officer chased a different man to the apartment duplex where the man and Sosa-Celis lived.

Moriarty said both Sosa-Celis and the other man were legally in the U.S. Defense Undersecretary Elbridge Colby accused Canada of failing"to make good on its military commitments" as he announced the change with the 85-year-old Permanent Joint Board on Defense. Trump has harshly criticized Canada and other NATO countries for spending too little on their own militaries, arguing that the U.S. shoulders too much of the burden.

The board is composed of senior military and civilian leaders and has been involved in various defense efforts. For instance, it provided advice on the creation of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, or NORAD, a joint command between the U.S. and Canada to spot potential enemy attacks as tensions rose with the Soviet Union. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer says the Trump administration's creation of a $1.7 billion compensation fund is"corruption happening in broad daylight.

" The fund is aimed at compensating allies of the Republican president who believe they were mistreated by the Biden administration Justice Department. "Of all the corrupt things he has done, this is one of the most depraved," Schumer said in a prepared statement. "No president should be able to use the Department of Justice as a personal rewards program for the people who helped him attack our democracy.

"that is already in tankers at sea, a move that is meant to reduce the oil supply shortages caused by the Iran war. Bessent had previously said, including to , that there would not be more extensions only to do so two times, a policy reversal that reflects the global economic challenges created by the conflict.

"This extension will provide additional flexibility, and we will work with these nations to provide specific licenses as needed," Bessent said on social media of the 30-day general license. The U.S. government official said it would help poorer nations in need of oil because China would no longer have the same ability to"stockpile discounted oil" from Russia. But there are risks as the temporary lifting of sanctions would help Russia finance its war in Ukraine.

The House Oversight Committee is interviewing Tova Noel, the former guard who was working the night that Jeffrey Epstein died in a New York jail cell in 2019. Noel and the other guard on duty that night, Michael Thomas, have admitted to falsifying records after facing federal charges in 2021 that stemmed from Epstein's death. New York City's medical examiner ruled his death a suicide, but conspiracy theories have swirled around his death for years.

Hegseth campaigning alongside a Trump-backed congressional candidate Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth will spend Monday afternoon campaigning alongside a Trump-backed congressional candidate on the eve of Kentucky's high-profile 4th district GOP primary contest. Hegseth is scheduled to appear with former Navy SEAL Ed Gallrein at the 1 p.m. EST rally in Hebron, Kentucky. The event is hosted by the Trump-allied group, America First Works. Galleria is challenging incumbent Republican Rep.

Thomas Massie, whom Trump has vowed to help defeat because of Massie's vocal criticism of the Republican president. The Pentagon issued a statement on Monday declaring that Hegseth was attending Monday's event"in his personal capacity" and that no taxpayer dollars would be used to facilitate his visit.

It would also be a further demonstration of the Trump administration's eagerness to reward allies who before Trump came to power were investigated and in some cases charged and convicted.the sentences of supporters who rioted at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. His Justice Department since then hasThe Trump administration said Monday that it's creating a $1.7 billion fund to compensate prosecuted allies of the Republican president after he moved to drop his lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service.

The"Anti-Weaponization Fund" was announced by the Justice Department as part of a deal to resolve President Trump's case over the leak of his tax returns. , alleging a previous leak of his and the Trump Organization's confidential tax records caused"reputational and financial harm, public embarrassment, unfairly tarnished their business reputations, portrayed them in a false light, and negatively affected President Trump, and the other Plaintiffs' public standing.

"In 2024, former IRS contractor Charles Edward Littlejohn -- who worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, a defense and national security tech firm --Trump and New York Gov. Kathy Hochul trade blame on the Long Island Rail Road strike Hochul, a Democrat, has blamed the Trump administration for cutting mediation short in September and pushing the unions toward a strike. Trump, a Republican, said on his Truth Social platform that he had nothing to do with it.

"No, Kathy, it's your fault, and now looking over the facts, you should not have allowed this to happen," Trump said. Commuters in New York City's suburbs navigated a gauntlet of car, bus and subway routes to get to work Monday after a strike on the Long Island Rail Road thatBut its creation reflects Trump's long-running claims that the Biden administration Justice Department was weaponized against him.

He's cited as proof the since-dismissed criminal charges he faced between his first and second terms of conspiring to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election he lost and of retaining classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. Several aides of his were also prosecuted, as were hundreds of Trump supporters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

Merrick Garland, who served as attorney general during former President Joe Biden's administration, has repeatedly denied allegations of politicization and has said his decisions followed facts, the evidence and the law. His Justice Department also investigated Biden for his handling of classified information and brought separate tax and gun prosecutions against Biden's son Hunter.

"This, of course, is a political grievance fund that Donald Trump can use to pay off his friends," Raskin, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, said in an interview Sunday on ABC's"This Week. " "If these people have a valid cause of action, they should bring it to the court like every other American does, and use the system of due process, and proving things by clear and convincing evidence, or a preponderance of evidence, go and prove it.

But the idea that Donald Trump can just pass it out like a pardon is absurd," he added. President Trump on Monday moved to withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns after reports that a resolution of the case was close at hand.

ABC News first reported last week that Trump was prepared to drop his lawsuit as part of a deal that would create a $1.7 billion fund to pay allies of the president who believe they were wrongly investigated and prosecuted.was thrown into chaos and panic when a man stormed the Washington Hilton lobby and opened fire in what prosecutors say was an attempt to kill President Donald Trump, the event has yet to be rescheduled. The association"continues to weigh options for rescheduling the event," its president, Weijia Jiang of CBS News, said from China last week where she was covering Trump -- alongside whom she hit the floor that night as shots rang out.

"We will do this again," Jiang had said then. Trump, for his part, said on social media the dinner would be rescheduled within 30 days , which would bring it to late this month. That seems hardly likely, at least not an event that would accommodate close to 3,000 people.

WHCA board members are scoping out smaller venues, a person familiar with the situation said, with the understanding that, if rescheduled, it would necessarily be a pared-down event -- a nod to financial as well as security concerns. An effort to reshape South Carolina's congressional districts will get its first full airing Monday in the state House, as lawmakers launch a lengthy and potentially testy discussion on whether to accede to Trump's desires for a U.S. House map that could yield a clean sweep for Republicans.that weakened Voting Rights Act protections for minority districts.

The ruling has opened the way for Republicans to redraw districts with large Black populations that have elected Democrats. Early voting is scheduled to begin May 26 for South Carolina's statewide primaries on June 9.

In addition to redrawing congressional districts, legislation pending in the state House would move the U.S. House primaries to August. If it clears the House, the legislation then must go to the Senate.

China has agreed to ramp up trade for U.S. agricultural products such as beef and poultry, buying at an annualized rate of $17 billion per year for 2026 and at that level for 2027 and 2028, the White House China would restore market access for U.S. beef and resume imports of poultry from U.S. states determined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be free of the bird flu, the White House said. The deals are on top of China's soybean purchase commitments last year.for soybeans and other products dry up.

Farmers also are feeling new pressure from Trump administration policies -- the war that the U.S. and Israel launched against Iran has curtailed shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital trade corridor that has restrictedA drone strike sparked a fire on the edge of the United Arab Emirates' sole nuclear power plant on Sunday in what authorities called an"unprovoked terrorist attack.

" No one was blamed, but it highlightedWorld shares mostly retreated and oil prices jumped on Monday after Trump warned Tehran that the"clock is ticking" as U.S.-Iran negotiations over a permanent end to the U.S. futures fell and markets in Japan and South Korea pulled back from their records. In early European trading, Britain's FTSE 100 edged up 0.1% to 10,205.31. France's CAC 40 lost 0.9% to 7,883.42, and Germany's DAX dropped 0.1% to 23,925.82.

During Asian trading, Tokyo's Nikkei 225 fell 1% to 60,815.95, a decline led by technology-related stocks. It reached all-time intraday high levels last week above 63,000. The yield on the 10-year Japanese government bond surged to as high as 2.8%, its highest level since the late 1990s. That's part of a broader shift toward higher yields as the Bank of Japan gradually raises interest rates and higher energy costs raise expectations of rising inflation.

The yield was around 2.55% just one week ago. Every Saturday, Peter Mansbridge provides thoughtful takes on this week's news stories. Subscribe for FREE! You can unsubscribe any time.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

natnewswatch /  🏆 58. in CA

President Trump Iran Military Strike Negotiations Clock Is Ticking

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Stocks fall and oil prices gain after Trump warns the Iran 'clock is ticking'Stocks fall and oil prices gain after Trump warns the Iran 'clock is ticking'World shares mostly retreated and oil prices jumped on Monday after U.S. President Donald Trump warned Tehran that the “clock is ticking” as U.S.-Iran negotiations over a permanent end to the war stall.
Read more »

Iran's President Admits Regime 'Facing Serious Challenges' While Demanding US Concessions to End WarIran's President Admits Regime 'Facing Serious Challenges' While Demanding US Concessions to End WarIran's President Masoud Pezeshkian admits his regime is facing serious challenges, including the loss of military-industrial infrastructure during the conflict with the US and Israel. Iran rejects the US proposal and demands concessions to end the war.
Read more »

Trump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of Gulf alliesTrump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of Gulf alliesU.S. President Donald Trump said he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious negotiations” are underway.
Read more »

US PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP HALTS PLANNED MILITARY STRIKE ON IRAN DUE TO 'SERIOUS NEGOTIATIONS' EXTENDED TO MAY 19US PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP HALTS PLANNED MILITARY STRIKE ON IRAN DUE TO 'SERIOUS NEGOTIATIONS' EXTENDED TO MAY 19United States President Donald Trump has announced that he has held off on a planned military strike on Iran, which was scheduled for Tuesday, based on the progress of serious negotiations between the United States and Iran. Despite previously indicating that the clock was ticking regarding Iran's deadline to strike a deal or else face a renewal of hostilities, Trump's recent actions suggest a shift in his stance on Iran. The decision was reportedly influenced by the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-24 07:25:00